Friday, July 13, 2007

My Parents in Town

I forgot to write that my parents were in town from Thursday to Sunday. They saw all the vignettes they could, the pageant twice and the sociable twice. They are always at everything to support me. I felt a little sheepish and like a child having them there, but I love them so I am just fine with it. The cast took them in well, and they made some new friends, especially among Melinda's family, with Heather and Gayle. They were always talking it seemed. Dad seemed to just gravitate toward everyone in the family and want to take hold as much as possible, so I can tell he really likes Melinda. I wondered how they received my dad and mom at first, but they were always asking about how they were and specifically how my Mom was receiving the pageant and the Spirit, as they know about her inactivity. They knew more than I, as I was always performing and hardly got to see them. I saw them twice as we went out to the Ivie in Fort Madison by their hotel, and then as we toured John Taylor's home. Other than that I was always performing. After the sociable, they asked Melinda and I to sing our duet for the Letters vignette, as they were upset they couldn't see it b/c they would be out of town. So we just improvised and sang it. It was a good idea because we hadn't done it in a while, but somehow I remembered the song and the words and all. It was a good practice, as we did it for real on Wednesday (it went well). I miss them now a bit.

I feel very much like in limbo here in Nauvoo, a little like how on your mission you long to be home and normal and getting on with the important things in life like your own future family and career and those things meanwhile you are giving all you have to the Lord, and loving it. Don't want to go, want to move on. I'll just be happy to be able to spend normal time with Melinda. It's very different having to be chaperoned and all. Not really a chance to get to know and bond like friends do with someone at your shoulder. I was looking forward to seeing the companionate side of love develop, but it's hard from a distance. I often feel like bursting for want to really be with her.

Paul was dumped by Amy Shreeve last night. I've never seen him so down. Don't know what to do.

1 comment:

Melinda DeBirk said...

I love you sweetheart. ;) You still make me giddy when I read this!